I thought path pilot started using a Linuxcnc fork from machine kit?

Centroid is appealing to new users because of a few reasons: ease of setup
(no hal), conversational (although not great) and a unified ecosystem of
hardware and software, with the ability to find a plug and play centroid
unit for almost every budget and type of machine (acorn, oak, all in one
dc). Plus, their macro logic is more fanuc-like from what I've seen
(includes the dreaded GOTO)

The selling point of LinuxCNC is price point and available power, if you're
willing to put in the time to learn. Not many people want to learn how to
configure hal/classicladder and pncconf has fallen behind and has acquired
some bugs to keep from working properly (can't add USB devices without it
locking up). With a well documented setup like a 7i75e, gecko g540 or a c10
chinabob, it's not crazy to say you can have motors moving in a couple of
hours but again, not many people want to spend the time messing with hal
configs. If there were more graphic based setup options, like the ones in
crap3, it might be more user friendly for beginners.

I'm not answering your question, I'm sure, but I'm giving insight from both
sides. I like LinuxCNC and the people involved are all great, but from a
general standpoint, the stumbling block is the learning curve but the
benefits are aplenty for those who want to learn.

Phil T.
The Feral Engineer

Check out my LinuxCNC tutorials, machine builds and other antics at
www.youtube.com/c/theferalengineer

Help support my channel efforts and coffee addiction:
www.patreon.com/theferalengineer

Order one of the coolest label makers on the market at
http://labelworks.epson.com, use coupon code "theferalengineer" and receive
20% off of your order 🙂