Andy,

Maybe it is just me but I find things in the documentation that are really
confusing. At these times I think I would, if I could, make it more clear
in the documentation. But, I also realize that sometimes what seems clear
to me is not always clear to others :-).

for example from the spindle comp documentation:

"*The following pins are created depending the ’gears=’ parameter.*

One of each pin is created for each gear. If no gears are specified then
one gear will be created. For instance if you have gears=1 on your command
line, you will have two scale pins:
*spindle.**N*
*.scale.0spindle.**N**.scale.1"*

So if I have 1 gear then: the first sentence says "one pin is created for
each gear". but then later it says 2 pins are created?

Now, If I have one gear then I would think of it as a one speed
transmission and you cannot select anything.  If I have a 3 speed
transmission I would think of it as having 3 gears even though high speed
may not be using any actual "gears" in the transmission.

So am I overthinking this? Does this documentation make sense to
everyone else as currently written?

Another part of the documentation that I struggled with is the description
of the pins for the iocontrol.N tool changer pins. There are references to
the original io control even with timing diagrams and a description of some
of the issues found but then for io_v2 there is not a timing diagram. I
only got this to work for me by trial and error because it didn't work the
way I expected by reading the documentation.

By the way, I did successfully make a turret comp with a state machine that
finds the home position if it is not known the first time a tool is
selected. I just got it working yesterday

Anyway I don't want this to sound like a complaint because I really like
linuxcnc and greatly appreciate the countless hours many have spent, like
Andy for example, making it what it is today. I am hoping that I can help
make linuxcnc even better and maybe documentation is one area where I could
make a small contribution.

John Figie