With an open machine I tend to us air rf vacuum to extract chips. One needs enough air movement to get turbulence for effective chip removal. I tend to start pockets, etc with a drill to within .02 of full depth. I've also drilled a pattern of holes to extract major volumes of material from pockets. However, just getting a good starting hole with a drill and then continuing with a mill is a smoother process.  In desperation mode blow air and catch the chips with vacuum much like a dentist does.

Dave