Thanks, Ana.

Your story of the 80 year-old prompts me to reply.

My small family lived with my parents in separate buildings on the same property. The kids grew up through their aging and dying. I had the privilege of nursing both my parents until their deaths. But it is a mistake to call it a privilege. I recall a family friend telling me what an important time it was, a rich experience, to be nursing my dying father. I actually spent my time fighting the doctors' drug regimes. This was like when I had to commit my closest friend, section him, they call it in some places. The attendant would not believe he was psychotic. He's just acting, the doctor said. And he was, he had been an actor. And in the waiting room at the mental institution he had taken off all his clothes and was performing the best Fool from Lear I had ever seen, dancing on the backs of the chairs. But having been an actor without work first led him into depression. Then when he went looking to find himself a place in the world he found only psychosis. I could not convince the doctors my father had been drugged into psychosis. He had been a director. The medical professions enjoyed the suppression of his rage, when I could not stand it. Like those lines beginning Herbert Blau's book /Impossible Theater/: /The purpose of this book is to talk up a revolution. Where there are rumblings already, I want to cheer them on. I intend to be incendiary and subversive, maybe even un-American. I shall probably hurt some people unintentionally; there are some I want to hurt. I may as well confess right now the full extent of my animus: there are times when, confronted with the despicable behavior of people in the American theater, I feel like the lunatic Lear on the heath, wanting to "kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!"/
/
/
My mother died two within two years of my father. I remember her saying about his loss, /I feel like half my body has been cut off./
/
/
Belonging to an earlier generation, my honorary grandmother, came to New Zealand in the 1950s. An actress, she upstaged Christmas by dying on that day in 2000.

Three things: Most importantly, she wanted to go to the home in England that is set up for theatre people, mainly actors and actresses. Maybe directors, like Herb, like my Dad, would not be able to stand it. She couldn't go and in New Zealand there is nothing like that respect for the second oldest profession.

So she planned for dying, aging, saying that she did not want anyone to have to look after her, or to feel they must. With great pragmatism she arranged everything. All she insisted on was that we visit her regularly in the nursing home where she ended up--surrounded by people with whom she had not the slightest thing in common.

My friend and I went and stayed with her when I was a student. Our bedroom was next to hers. We tried to be quiet. But in the morning we rose late to find she had a friend visiting. She introduced us to the visitor, saying about me, /He learnt to walk here. He learnt to talk here. Now he's learning to **** here. /Not that she was modest about the word. It was simply funnier not saying it.

Best,
Simon
http://squarewhiteworld.com