Hi all,

Thanks so much for the invitation to join you this week. My current film
project, Framing Agnes, is inspired by years of ongoing research in the
archive of Harold Garfinkel, a sociologist working at the UCLA Gender
Clinic in the 1950-60s. Garfinkel’s 1967 case study of Agnes is broadly
understood as the locus classicus of sociological research on transgender
people, as well as the building block for social constructionist theories
of gender. The film utilizes the continued relevance of Agnes as a
springboard to consider the legacy of transgender representation in the
contemporary moment.  Made in collaboration with University of Chicago
sociologist Kristen Schilt, the film reveals never-before-seen case files
we found alongside Agnes in the archive, and charges contemporary
trans-identified artists with the task of inhabiting these historical
subjects. When exhibiting the work in public, I often encounter questions
about ethics and authenticity, and am excited by the ways in which the
project puts pressure on people’s understanding of historical truth.
Narrations-of-self produced in clinical settings for the purpose of seeking
approval for services are never authentic, but rather performative and
strategic, ever mediated through the logics of the surveilling system. (For
further reading, Dean Spade’s ‘Mutilating Gender’ is a great exploration of
these stakes, and in fact uses the case of Agnes as example.) As we
continue conversation this week about play, I’m interested in these
pressure points, and the ways in which art/moving image/collaboration can
make visible the structural interferences which impact the telling of any
history.

A trailer for Agnes is available on my website, should it be of interest:
Chase joynt dot com.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM Jerry Zee <j...@ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hello all, and thank you for having me,
>

> I’m looking forward to riffing along with others. But first, a few
> thoughts on ethnography, lightly sparked by the soft injunction to think
> with Erica’s skating as play, and how this sits with, skirts, or displaces
> ethnographic practice.
>

> I’m trained as an anthropologist, with ethnography as the methodological
> center of that disciplinary practice. What people call ethnography might
> mean a lot of things. For some people it stands of a qualitative research
> practice, opposed to, say, surveys, and oriented toward truth at granular
> scales. For others it’s a kind of deep hanging out, a phrase that suggests
> both ease and rigor, which gets at something of the weirdness of
> ethnographic work. To me, I like to think of ethnography as a work of
> encounter. More than a question of data gathering, it’s a matter of the
> thought or insight or realignment that could not have happened unless you
> were there, somewhere. It’s a work of allowing your world and thinking to
> be permutated by someone else’s.
>

> Two quick thoughts. My work involves exploring political, cultural, and
> ecological worlds that take shape with strange modern weather. I’m
> especially interested in massive dust storms that form in China’s interior
> hinterlands, pass over the country, then surge across the Pacific. As they
> do, they create unexpected relations, reorganize the conditions of
> political and physical life, and have folks turning their attention to the
> places where earth and sky become one another.
>

> I realized as I was working that I wasn’t studying, say, scientists or
> farmers interested in storms. Instead, I was moving through a weird crew of
> folks who were perplexed by dust, but in ways that were different than I
> was. Learning about those reorganized mine, offering me weird an unexpected
> ways of thinking about materials, or sometimes finding myself deploying
> some idea that had come through the attention of some people to their land
> to suddenly understand air differently. Ethnography here: a play of
> displacements, bound in a delicate parallax toward the same thing.
>

> And to return to Erica’s skating and the matter of courage. I think it’s
> interesting because *doing *ethnography has sometimes felt like play,
> but, during fieldwork, not often like fun: more like an activation of every
> kind of latent social anxiety. Other people describe it as developing deep
> friendships, which sometimes happens. But for me it was emotionally complex
> and often disassociating, including that it involved me being not-out for
> the first time in my adult life. I wonder what courage in such a conundrum
> may have looked like.
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM Erica Rand <er...@bates.edu> wrote:
>
>> ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Thanks for the opportunity to join the conversation on queer ethnography,
> [...]

chasejoynt.com

Director
*FRAMING AGNES*
Official Selection: 2019 Tribeca Film Festival
<https://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/framing-agnes-2019>