I feel persuaded by Jerry’s summary of ethnography as the work of encounter
and incentivized by Kale’s uptake of the method as a conceptual art
practice. As a scholar-practitioner steadfastly positioned in between
disciplines – and resulting legacies and legibilities – I read each
rebranding above as a call for methodological spaciousness and receptivity.
I am reminded of a moment while shooting the Agnes project that feels
relevant to our conversation. In a preproduction meeting with Angelica Ross
(actor, activist, entrepreneur, moderator of the recent Presidential Forum
on LGBT issues, current star of American Horror Story**), I offered my
understanding of the person from history she was playing: “Georgia is
black, working class, partnered, ex-military…” Angelica soon interrupted me
to say, “I know her.” We smiled at each other, and I stopped my summary.
This moment is emblematic of the project method, which I situate in the
porous borders between autobiography and ethnography. The work is informed
by history, yet inhabited and ultimately haunted by the contemporary. As a
result, the logics of authorship are constantly shifting: between me, the
actors, the subjects from history, and the representational technologies.

** I would be remiss not to give you more reason to Google…