There is much magic that deals with the art of follow through, that is
turning intent into will and will into action; on the other side of that
coin, there are darker arts that involve traps, prisons, gilded cages*.  *Magic
can be a simultaneously participatory and emancipatory action upon one's
environment, it allows you to change something and in doing so, it imbues
you with the fundamental knowledge that you have agency. this is innovation
and creativity. the darker side turns the magician from a participant to a
user. This is my provocative proposition: User experience (UX) is the dark
side of participant experience because the user does not have agency, he
gives it up in exchange for the gilded cage. And these are not metaphors,
so much as representations. These things aren't *like *magic, they
*are *magic. Disappointing
magic, boring magic, because it isn't miraculous and it doesn't condone the
giving up of power. I believe the impetus to use analogies and metaphors
when discussing magic is the distinctly postmodern tendency to put as much
distance between consciousness and experience as possible. But maybe it's
only disappointing and boring because we have decided that if it's real, it
must be disappointing and boring. There is no reason why we can't have
beautiful, exciting, inspiring, inclusive, exhilarating magic.
Participatory rituals. The modernization spell doesn't have to be a curse,
it just happens to feel like one with some frequency. (I may be projecting,
it's my perception that this is a common feeling)

I'm not sure how to fit in this kind of practice and to prioritize it; I'm
also not sure how to design it -- obviously cultural appropriation is a not
respectful of that culture, but it also I think necessarily weakens the
connection between intent and will, to invite in methodologies or beliefs
or props that are associated with older intents belonging to other people.
I'm super curious what people think a positive magic looks like, or good
ritual design is, in 2019.

-Joanna