Greetings, all!  Thanks to Alenda and contributors for organizing and working
through these provocations and ideas.  I am a little late to Week One, but
since the initial posts, I have been trying to think about ways to respond.  I
am reminded of a commercial I saw recently from Apple claiming their phones are
assembled in zero waste facilities--those commercials are no longer available
online (but have been lambasted quite a bit, i.e.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWxS8LqnJc).  I also am reminded of a recent
Verge article on the PlayStation: "The Environmental Impact of a PlayStation
4":
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/5/20985330/ps4-sony-playstation-environmental-impact-carbon-footprint-manufacturing-25-anniversary.
  The greenwashing of technology, particularly digital technology, dovetails
with the techno-utopianist (even -libertarian) ideologies of power, control,
connection, immersion, self-fashioning, and mobility.  These ideals then get
translated and ported to projects like Games for Change
(http://www.gamesforchange.org/) or (local to Seattle) Games for Our Future
(https://medium.com/seattleindies/games-for-our-future-expands-in-2020-e5fd4ef71beb).
  How these hopes, desires, and fantasies butt up against the material, labor,
and environmental costs of the very technologies that want to "do good" or
"make a difference" is perhaps not answerable or solvable.  I guess given the
double-bind, I think it important that developers, organizations, conferences,
and players address how "change" or "good" must take into account the above
problems (much in the same way games of color or queer games or accessible
games have addressed other issue like race, gender, disability).  And as we
move into the next week on analog games, how might we think of the oxymoron of
green gaming in terms of board games, tabletop RPGs, ARGs, and LARP and their
costs and affordances.

Thanks for reading,
Ed