On 04/06/2012 06:45 AM, pedro wrote:

not sure what you mean by a romance, susan, do you mean a fantasy ?

I was really kinda curious about that too... For sure, with the formerly democratic societies in a state of total corruption, basically on the edge of a new kind of fascism, and falling over that edge all the time, politicized art practices that unfold in institutionally sanctioned spaces often DO look like a fantasy. And when they don't, as in the example of LABoral that Pedro gave, well, such experiments are often closed down.

But what exactly do you think, Susan?

in this sense i think its very important on any debate about curating
to talk about open practises such as budgets being well documented and
communicated with the artists and public, the willingless to let
processes unfold outside of the narrative framework determined, what
licenses are used, the role (or absence) of collective processes, the
documentation ...

I'd like to hear more about the above, because those are serious questions about the practice of curation, which otherwise are usually tied so closely to the power structures of the capitalist/oligarchical state which Ana talks about, that I tend to lose all interest. If you want to check out what I mean by total corruption, read Andrea Fraser's recent article "L'1% c'est moi," whose title indicates a very productive anxiety about who we might be becoming in the world of art. And check out the prototype of her and Jennifer Gradecki's "Artigarchy" project which I hope will go viral and relieve Fraser of the evidently useless and fruitless search for some institution that would "take it on" (I think no such institution exists at present):

http://toddusandronicus.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/andrea-fraser-1.pdf

http://jennifergradecki.com/artigarchy.html

There is also quite an interesting video (I actually love this thing) that was made a few years ago by Marysia Lewandowska and Neil Cummings, about the possible transformation of art institutions. It's called "Museum Futures: Distributed." It was commissioned by the Moderna Museet for their 50th anniversary, and the strategy of the video is to take the the commission quite seriously and project 50 years into the future to see what an institution might become if Pedro's basic ideas - what you might call democratic common sense - were actually implemented. If you listen closely to what is being said, you realize that the new institution only emerged after a great economic crisis and a period of major social unrest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6RbAXSo6I

There are three parts to the YouTube upload. The script by Neil Cummings can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/museum-futures

subvert and enjoy, Brian