Hi All,

Apologies for the lapse. We have been travelling the last few days, and now
find ourselves off grid in a frosty cabin on a mountain lake posting in town at
the WiFi cafe.

Thank you for the provocative questions and thoughts.

We've been trying to focus our posts on projects in which we are currently
involved, such as an exhibition reckoning with questions of a mass audience for
art, and the launch of a curatorial studies journal that we are editing. We see
the role of editors and curators as somewhat continuous insomuch as not only
selecting, but also mobilizing and framing contingent conditions for
communication. For us, the agency of curatorship simultaneously engages the
criticality of choice (of works presented) with conditions of reception, which
are necessarily performative.

Regarding Tim's point that the Biennale Reader "seemed to promote curatorial
authority over artistic production and institutional position over the
independent status of so many artists," as independent curators we do not speak
on behalf of the institution. Our role is perhaps closer to that of artists in
a provisional and interventional sense. Our agency as curators is involved with
staging and configuring of art in collaboration with artists to produce events
for diverse audiences. While we take care to focus a curatorial proposition, at
the same time, we have to let our attachment to any specific outcome go. Just
as we cannot impose meaning, we cannot control the ultimate impact of an
exhibition. So, we do not see criticality and ludic participation as mutually
exclusive -- putting these elements into play so to speak engages them
simultaneously.

So happily we take Pedro's point about curating as creating spaces,
revolutionary or revelatory.  For us, the purview of the curatorial is
conjunctural, operating in the connections of art, communities, spaces,
histories, discourses, aesthetics, affects in ways that may achieve coherence
(or fail to). While acknowledging that ultimately the budgets impact on what is
possible in exhibitions, we resist the instrumentalization or containment of
both art and curating. Rather, curatorial practice involves a rigorous
criticality considering the always-already mediating conditions pertaining to
art's presentation. The curator as communicator can then function first as
"curer" through the homeopathic mimicry of symptoms for critical revelation,
for thinking of rhetorics of arrangement of art in place differently. The
curator can secondly also function as "carer" -- in Foucauldian sense of "care
of the self" -- through the integration of techniques that can achieve a "turn"
within aesthetic experience's transformative impact. This is where integrating
the senses beyond vision becomes interesting to us. To these we would add an
additional etymological aspect of curate -- "curiosity" -- which impels
curators, artists and audiences toward engagement with the art and presentation
event.

Until soon,

Jennifer and Jim

Jennifer Fisher, PhD
Associate Professor, Contemporary Art and Curatorial Studies
Department of Visual Arts CFA 252
YORK UNIVERSITY
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, ON  M3J 1P3