I'll second what mez has to say here; it's always a situation of bricolage
for people I know outside institutions; it's even difficult to get to
conferences, to get published with academic presses, etc. Universities and
art schools still provide communality after graduation for creative
workers, but without these ties things always seem to be in a state of
falling apart. At least the net provides the ability to proffer work, even
if no audience emerges -

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, mez breeze <netwur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ..+ those who persist in operating outside these boundaries (in art or
> academia) are having a tougher time existing in such marginalised
> (sometimes engineered, sometimes otherwise) spaces.
>
> Chunks,
> mez
>

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Talan Memmott <t.memm...@underacademy.org
> > wrote:
>
>> **
>>

>> On 18 January 2013 at 15:08 Simon Biggs <si...@littlepig.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > ... and to respond to my own email (probably bad etiquette) one can
>> observe the obverse to be the case - just as plenty of research is not
>> necessarily instrumental so too is much art instrumental, whether
>> responding to a commission brief, applying for thematised funding,
>> completing a work destined to be sold in an art gallery or making
>> adjustments to a performance in response to audience feedback. Adrian's
>> argument has value but is too black and white...
>> >

>> I would say that this is more and more so ... art becoming instrumental
>> (in context) And, some of this has to do with the rise of practice oriented
>> PhDs, where there is now the expectation, say for writers to pursue a
>> Creative Writing PhD.
>>

>> Talan Memmott, Caput Magnum
>> Full Digressor of Undefined Arts and Sciences
>> UnderAcademy College
>> http://underacademycollege.wordpress.com/
>> TWITTER: @underacademy

>> empyre forum
>> empyre@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
>> http://www.subtle.net/empyre
>>

> --
> | http://mezbreeze.com/
> | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mez_Breeze

> http://www.subtle.net/empyre

directory http://www.alansondheim.org tel 347-383-8552
music/sound http://espdisk.com/alansondheim/
email sondheim ut panix.com, sondheim ut gmail.com