Chris, in relation to the dumb world: absolutely of course I would never
suggest that the world is a dumb vessel we sit within. However, the answer to
humanism and idealism that sets itself above this world and its things, is not
to pretend we can know what the "other" in this case nature, the chair, the
bird, etc. is thinking and know its agency, that would be just another
exoticism and thus just as colonial and humanist as the 19th Century admiration
and collecting of plants and butterflies. In fact to deny the factors and
consequences of human agency, and the quite unique blame and responsibility
that at least ecologically speaking we have to level at ourselves, through the
slight of hand of a theoretical equivalence with nature and things, seems an
enormously anthropocentric and idealist move if not down right narcissistic.

Therefor, to get back to listening, what interests me is the philosophical,
musical, artistic as well as theological biases that are involved in this mode
of engagement with the world and in what why sound art negotiates, critiques,
augments and challenges, reaffirms or indeed ignores such biases and legacies.
Not to pretend that I listen to the inanimate, dumb sound work, sound world,
but because I am humbly aware of the fact that I am me and not that chair, and
I will never become that chair, but understanding my modes of engagement with
it I can come to appreciate its autonomy and complexity without subsuming it
into an equivalence that is powered by my agency: creating an über-human
post-humanism.