On Wed, August 24, 2011 5:19 pm, Sam Hartman wrote:

> EAP-PWD has not met process hurtles that are important for IETF
> standards.

  Thanks, in part, to you.

>            In particular there are a number of approaches for doing that
> sort of password method; we haven't decided that's the one we want to
> use.

  That's right "we" haven't decided on One Way To Do It(tm). Nor are
"we" planning to. So you're appealing to wait for the conclusion of a
process that does not exist and has no plans of being started? That's
absurd.

  There are security properties that you said you agreed are important.
I am suggesting to use a method that satisfies those properties for the
purposes of interoperability. Just because you don't like my choice
(and apparently "we" haven't used a non-existent process to choose)
doesn't mean the security properties should be downgraded.

> If EAP-PWD had the sort of deployment MSCHAPv2 had, I'd support an RFC
> 3967 down-ref to it: the market has spoken and MSCHAPv2 has significant
> deployment.

  I refer you to section 4 of RFC 3967, "On the other hand...."

>               However, a normative down-ref to EAP-PWD would be an
> end-run around the question of whether EAP-PWD is the method that does
> approximately what it does that we want to recommend.  That decision
> should be faced directly not as part of some other spec.

  I can assure you that EAP-pwd is "the method that does approximately
what it does". That is tautologically true.

  First you were opposed because it amounted to a normative reference to
an Informational RFC, but that's not a consistent position to take (see
RFC 2104). So now it's that "we" haven't decided on what password method
to use. But "we" have not decided to use MSCHAPv2 or EAP-GPSK to handle
password authentication either. Using either of those is likewise an
"end-run around the question [of] what we want to recommend." But for
some reason you bring these flawed protocols up as alternatives to
EAP-pwd.

  So why are you really opposed to protocols being resistant to
dictionary attack?

  Dan.