> >And focusing on that "what to do here.." part and the unused IMCK-zero[j]
> in the previous paragraph..
> >How is this supposed to work when an inner EAP authentication method does
> not derive either MSK or EMSK?
> >Intermediate result indication of success needs to be done and that
> implies there needs to be Crypto-Binding TLV.
> >But that TLV does not have option of indicating that neither EMSK
> Compound MAC nor MSK Compound MAC are present (Flags field has no value 0
> defined to do so).
> I agree the 0 value should be explicitly listed for this purpose. Given
> the design of the flags I think it is clear this was the intended usage and
> its omission was likely an oversight.
> >So what are those fields (or one of them) supposed to be set to?
> >And how is that selected for an inner EAP authentication method j?
> >Does this depends on what happened with method j-1 (if one was present)?
> >How would the correct IMCK[j] be determined by the peer and the server if
> one of them derived MSK/EMSK but the other one did not derive either for
> inner EAP method j?
> Assuming we use the value 0 to indicate the state where one of the peers
> did not derive either MSK or EMSK, then I believe the RFC addresses this as
> MSKi = 32 octets of 0x00s. So if one side calculated neither MSK nor EMSK,
> and both sides decided to continue the conversion, then both sides would
> use the zero-MSK for that IMSK[j],

Jorge, Jouni, agree with the approach.

Jorge, please note that the same problem exists in PEAP Crypto-Binding TLV
as specified in its documentation
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-peap/ebb2b12b-cd53-4f3a-afed-36588566c7c2>
- when one side has an inner method that provided MSK and another side has
this inner method that didn't provide MSK.

There is also a case where no inner method is executed. For example, when
client certificate was received during TEAP outer tunnel establishment. In
this case we also need to use zero-MSK. For such case both values of the
flag work - "0 for zero-MSK" and "2 for MSK". This creates unnecessary
ambiguity and thus would be better to request using flag's value "0" for
zero MSK in such case (today we use value "2" and it doesn't create
ambiguity). However there's a question here: in case of TEAP certificate
based authentication that is typically done by running inner method
EAP-TLS, should we allow in sending client certificate during TEAP tunnel
establishment or inside the tunnel and this way skipping EAP-TLS inner
method? On one hand it makes authentication shorter. On the other hand it
causes switching from MSK/EMSK exported by the inner method EAP-TLS to
zero-MSK.

If we do allow skipping any inner method then we need explicitly say that
zero-MSK should be used in such case.

I've started rebuilding section "5.2
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7170#section-5.2>. Intermediate Compound
Key Derivations" of the RFC according to the proposal on this thread and
will post it here shortly.

~ Oleg