Oh, I most definitely can send an encrypted message to anyone. The
recipient will not be able to decrypt it since I don't have his public
key so I'll have to use some random other key, but I can send him an
encrypted message.

Anyway, these things confirm my point: the way the PGP signature is
transfered is only relevant for signed but unencrypted mails as you may
as well send these mails to people that do know know, understand or use
PGP. And those people may get confused by the way that the signature is
transfered: either inline or as an attachment. Embedding this in the
header solves this issue. Of course, it will require further
specification in an RFC and it will require more broad support than from
just one client (although I personally don't know anyone that does use
PGP and does not use Enigmail to do so but that's just my personal
circle, of course). But it has to start somewhere, right?

Regards,

Egbert