Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 02:52 PM, Mike Acker wrote:
>
>> which, as noted, is why they have per recipient rules
>
> I know that Enigmail has these rules, and that they are a way to work
> around GnuPG's suboptimal key-selection-from-email-address routine.  I
> think there may be better ways to resolve these issues if we consider
> all the pieces of the stack.
>
> I think GnuPG's key selection routines need to be improved, and that
> would obviate the majority of the need for per-recipient rules.

Good luck with changing the behavior of GnuPG ;-)

Obviate? Eh, not so much. Key selection for encryption is only one use for P-R
rules. Whether to sign and/or encrypt, and Inline vs PGP/MIME decisions
outside of default account settings are also handled by per-recipient rules.

I'm not saying key selection isn't an important use of P-R rules, but it's
hardly the /sine qua non/ of P-R rules.

-John

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net