> Hmm... I feel like this has come up before, and there have been noises
> made by people that don't want keys to be fetched automatically.

Sure.  But that's no reason to omit the feature or not make it the
default.  It's a reason to make it a configurable option.

> Similarly, some people may not upload their keys to public servers.

Sure.  And if we don't have a local copy and can't get a certificate
from the public keyserver, the solution isn't to ask the user what they
wish to do next.  It's to tell them there's a problem with the
signature: give it a red X.  If the user cares, they'll click on the X
and discover the problem, and *then* we can lead them through a key
import wizard.

The fewer states we have, the happier our users will be.