On 2015-09-22 13:18, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> When processing a message for which there's no corresponding
> certificate, Enigmail should try and fetch the certificate
> automagically.  If successful, great.  90% or more of the time it'll
> succeed, and thus 90% of this problem goes away.
>
> If the message is signed, there's no local copy of the sender's public
> key, and it can't be found on the keyservers -- then that's a critical
> and unrecoverable problem, and gets the big red X.

Hmm... I feel like this has come up before, and there have been noises
made by people that don't want keys to be fetched automatically.
Similarly, some people may not upload their keys to public servers.

That said, maybe it's okay using the same icon for an invalid signature
as for a signature that can't be verified.

--
Matthew