i disagree with this:
1. i might not want to download the key: the message may be in the "macht nichts" category
2. there are 3 options available to the user:
2a do nothing
2b try to get the key from the keyserver    ( which keyserver, btw )
2c ask the sender to send his|her key

it is critical not to cripple this thing by trying to make things too automatic.   we'll end up like SSL/TLS

i like the idea of a pen with a ? mark over it for those messages which are signed but for which we do not have a local copy of the sender's public key