> this is nonetheless an interesting development.   on the one hand I'd
> hate to see Thunderbird lapse and become inconsequential .

To a large extent it already has.  Email usage has been declining for
many years.  The largest person-to-person communications medium today is
Facebook Messenger.  (Which has all manner of privacy implications,
don't get me wrong; I'm not endorsing this change.)

Email is a diminishing market, and email clients like Thunderbird are
grabbing a diminishing share of a diminishing market.  The only good
news is that since the entire system is open-source, it's going to be
harder to kill than Rasputin.

And as long as Thunderbird's around, we're going to be, too.  :)