On 12/2/15 3:50 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 12/02/15 14:51, Stephen wrote:
>> If anything, it is the market for stand-alone mail clients that is
>> diminishing. Webmail is accessible from any computer with a reasonably
>> modern web-browser. This is probably how a large majority now use
>> e-mail. Most people cannot be bothered with the effort needed to
>> configure a mail user agent.
>
> You make a good point.  Except that it should be "any computer or mobile
> device with a reasonably modern web browser".  And always with the
> caveat that it means entrusting the storage and security of your email
> communications to someone else who may not necessarily have an interest
> in keeping it as secure as you would like.

I'd love to see an open source project that address exactly this issue.
Maybe a web client that allows you to use a smart card to encrypt,
decrypt, and sign messages. Obviously it would have to be open source
and there are some serious security issues to overcome, but it would be
nice to have more access to my encrypted messages. Also the economics
would be hard. Who wants to pay for an email service when you can get it
for "free"?