On 26.09.17 11:45, digg...@openmailbox.org wrote:
> Tested on:
> Ubuntu 16.04 / Thunderbird 52.3.0 / GnuPG 2.1.11 / Enigmail 1.9.8.2 /
> OpenPGP/MIME
> Debian 8 / Thunderbird 52.3.0 / GnuPG 2.0.26 / Enigmail 1.9.8.2 / OpenPGP/MIME
> Windows 7 / Thunderbird  52.3.0 / GnuPG  2.0.30 / Enigmail 1.9.8.2 /
> OpenPGP/MIME
>
> All 3 were used to test sending and receiving
>
> The problem If I forward an email as an attachment and have enigmail encrypt
> the sending email to recipient, when the recipient tries to open the attached
> .eml file it appears blank in the thunderbird window.  not even to / from /
> subject info is displayed.   Viewing source shows the content of the email
>
> Conversely if I forward an email as an attachment but do not encrypt the
> email to recipient is able to view the email with out issue.
>
> This has been tested forwarding both encrypted and non encrypted emails.

When forwarding a PGP/MIME encrypted email as an attachment, then the
email remains _unchanged_ by Thunderbird upon attaching it. That is, the
attached email is still encrypted to yourself (and whoever else was on
the recipients/sender) but likely not to the person to whom you forward
the email.

Consequently, the person who got the email from you cannot open it. If
you want to forward a PGP/MIME encrypted email, you either need to
attach it inline, or you need to create a decrypted copy of the mail,
and attach that copy.

-Patrick

-Patrick