On 26.09.17 16:50, Olav Seyfarth wrote
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> When forwarding a PGP/MIME encrypted email as an attachment, then
>> the email remains _unchanged_ by Thunderbird upon attaching it.
>> That is, the attached email is still encrypted to yourself (and
>> whoever else was on the recipients/sender) but likely not to the
>> person to whom you forward the email.
>
>> Consequently, the person who got the email from you cannot open it.
>> If you want to forward a PGP/MIME encrypted email, you either need
>> to attach it inline, or you need to create a decrypted copy of the
>> mail, and attach that copy.
>
> Hmmm, Enigmail could detect that and warn the user, couldn't it?
> Or even offer to do exactly those steps required (after confirmation).

I knew that this would be the immediate proposal ;-)

That would be anything but trivial. The email is only attached at
sending time by a low-level Thunderbird function; before that it's only
a pointer to a mail (which does not even need to be downloaded while
writing the message).

In other words, Enigmail would need to make sure that the attached mail
is downloaded while the mail is being written, and then the mail needs
to be decrypted (which could trigger a request to enter a passphrase --
something we want to avoid during message composition), and re-packaged
in a similar same way as the function "Decrypt to Folder" works (except
that the target a file this time). And then, then attached mail needs to
be replaced with the decrypted copy. Finally you have to make sure that
sending the message is not possible before that's completed. And
obviously, this should work for PGP/MIME and inline-PGP.

It's not very surprising that this is not even implemented by
Thunderbird for S/MIME.

-Patrick