On 10/8/19 10:57 AM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 08/10/2019 08:08, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>> The Thunderbird developers have announced that they will implement
>> OpenPGP support in Thunderbird 78 [1]. Support for Thunderbird in
>> Enigmail will therefore be discontinued.
>
> Wow.
>
> Patrick, first of all I'd like to thank you for all the effort you have
> put into Enigmail (and will continue to put into it). Without your
> brilliant work it is clear that Thunderbird would not have been as
> successful as it has been.

Second^W er, thirded.

> I am certain that I would not have been a longtime user of Thunderbird
> if it had not been for the old addon ecosystem, especially Enigmail.

I second this.  I don't use a *lot* of add-ons in Thunderbird, but the
few that I do use add or *fix* important functionality.  (Like the
"Seriously, what were you thinking?" Thunderbird design decision to
display your own address in incoming mail as "Me".  Because NOBODY IN
THE ENTIRE WORLD uses more than one email address or cares which address
incoming mail was sent to ... right?)

I have a terrible feeling that as with Firefox, this change in
Thunderbird is going to carpet-nuke Thunderbird's add-on ecosystem and
severely reduce its overall utility.  WebExtensions has been around
since 2015 and the Firefox WebExtensions add-on landscape is still a
blasted plain sparsely dotted with a few stunted trees.  It is still
shocking to me how *few* pages the entire list of Firefox WebExtensions
takes up.

Sometimes I really wonder whether the Mozilla Foundation is actively
trying to make its users abandon everything it produces.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications