On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:00:14 -0300, Douglas De Toni said:
> To start with it I think I could translate the incoming E17 to portuguese, the
> programs tools and documentations.... its a lot of work but I can find some
> help over here!!

Feel free - translation is something that very rarely gets done by the core
coders, simply because they don't speak Portuguese or Chinese or Swedish
or whatever. So volunteers who read/write the language are always appreciated.

(I'd do a Latvian translation, except that although my Latvian is good enough
to deal with a newspaper or a TV broadcast, my technical Latvian is
non-existent.
You rarely see "iconify" in the newspaper. :)

> After that if my C skills grow faster and faster maybe I can get my hands in
> some code ?? : )

A good way to get started on this is to find a bug, quirk, or irritating
misfeature, and fix it - quite often a bug is (a) caused by an error that only
affects a few lines of code (forget to initialize something, or do 2 things in
the wrong order, etc), and (b) not something that the original programmer can
easily duplicate for debugging.  Don't worry if you find the problem and don't
know how to fix it - quite often, being able to narrow it down from "The window
manager suddenly dies" to one function and say "This routine does <this> wrong
thing, but I'm not sure what's right here" is enough to let somebody else fix
it.

Just this week, I learned more than I ever wanted to about the Linux kernel's
handling of ioperm() while tracking down a 2-line error in Ingo Molnar's
latency patches that caused a nasty memory leak - and I suspect I'm literally
the only user who runs both Ingo's patches *and* the buggy gkrellm plug-in that
made the leak noticeable. So I ended up fixing 2 separate small bugs that
combined to cause major issues on my laptop..

And the importance of having a small army of people finding and fixing these
little 2 and 3 line errors cannot be underestimated - I suspect that there
isn't any truly successful open-source project that doesn't have such an
army....