In regards to edb files.

First off, as I understand it edb is being replaced by eet and programs will be using ecore_config and examine for most of their configuration.

Yes, it does break the unix tradition of text config files. I believe the E devs decided to do this because
1. It's easier to have a concrete binary backed by a simple API than to parse text files and figure out goofy human errors.
2. Configuration should be handled by other easier front ends that won't care about the format anyway. e.g. examine
3. It's faster (Not a particularly compelling argument given today's machines, hence why it's number 3)

I'm sure the devs have dynamic theme loading in mind and the count variable in the edb is a pretty stupid hack, but the first step is to move to the new ecore_config system, not fix the current edb based method. As far as I know, entrance and entice are the only two apps that are still using edb.

Arlo