On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 at 13:09 Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:57:56 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me>
> said:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I will try to provide as much insight as I can:
> >
> > As many of the community are aware I started the Edi project to help get
> > people into coding on EFL - the learning curve is very steep and the
> > tooling was basically commandline based. Documentation is a big part of
> the
> > solution and we've come a long way both with the wiki and with the .eo
> > format for defining functionality. However this is set up to deliver only
> > on our website which a) is online and b) is external to the IDE.
> > To make a more integrated experience I started to think about how the
> > documentation could be more portable - so that it could be rendered in
> Edi
> > or other documentation browser online or offline, in the workflow of
> > someone's coding. Dokuwiki is a challenge here as the only renderer is
> the
> > dokuwiki web ui so reading the files off the filesystem is not really a
> > possibility without coding up a new render implementation.
>
> i was actually thinking of the docs always being online... :) then changes
> and
> improvements are immediately accessible to all users/devs ... :) yes yes.
> hard
> to refer to docs while on a plane ... i know. :)

In it's current form not only do you have to be online you have to have a
browser window open alongside your code. To be worried about immediate
propagation of improvements implies a lot more documentation activity than
we see - and once the API has a solid release would important changes to
them not be less common?

> A few conversations later and I was chatting to Cedric about what we can
> do
> > to make the documentation cleaner and he mentioned that Samsung was also
> > interested in this - and that they may be willing to finance some
> technical
> > writers to help. So he managed to get some professionals signed up and
> now
> > have people raring to go with documentation - but they don't know
> dokuwiki
> > and honestly I don't think that spending all day editing text files in a
> > browser window is the best way to write reams of documentation. A markup
> > format with external editors would mean higher productivity and also
> > increased portability.
> >
> > And so here we are. It looks like Markdown is a format that provides a
> lot
> > of additional benefits in terms of contributors, portability and future
> > proofing.
>
> ok. so here's a question. edi. how do you plan to display docs in edi?
> going to
> write a madkrown parser/formatter in "c" and then use textblocks (entries,
> efl.ui.text) to display? nothing else exists at the moment. or planning to
> add
> "markdown handling" directly to efl.ui.text/textblock etc.  (like markup is
> supported)? going to write an "exporter" that uses the wiki php cod to
> parse
> markdown but instead of html - generate textblock etc. markup?

Ideally we would have a native markdown component for speed purpose - it
would make a nice editor as well as a way to view the docs and dynamically
link in context.
However that is a reasonable amount of work - due to the commonality of
this format we can get there faster by using a pre-built parser, hooking in
whatever clever linking we want and preview through something currently
available like HTML. Not the perfect solution but much quicker to get
working.

> I hope that helps,
> > Andy

> Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com

Not sure if that helps with the context you were looking for?
Andy
--
http://andywilliams.me
http://ajwillia.ms