On 06/11/17 20:19, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 11/03/2017 07:07 PM, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
>> The E22 release is out now, so it's time to return to this issue. Currently
>> we have two build systems, and maintaining/updating both of them is not
>> feasible. At present, there is already significant divergence and various
>> features are not present in the autotools build (and never will be). The
>> decision is not whether to remove autotools or when to remove autotools,
>> it's what do we do about old distros.
>
> Do we know which old distros are having this problem?
> This is a very similar to other external deps we have. We never really set
> rules on what version our dependencies can have based on what
> distros are shipping. We simply handled them when issues came up.
>
> If the distros are not the latest release of the very distro I would argue
> that they should upgrade. LTS versions are tricky though.
>
>> Based on previous discussions, it seems that there are still some users
>> whose distros do not yet ship a modern enough version of meson. The best
>> option, which is the option other projects which switch to meson have been
>> using, is to simply ship a tarball of a newer meson release along with our
>> code. The other option is to provide a link in the README. I don't have any
>> other ideas.
>>
>> I'll be removing autotools sometime next week, let's try to get some
>> discussion going about the best action to take going forward with this.
>
> I would suggest the following:
> 0) Dig a bit around to see what distros have a *latest* release which does
> not ship 0.39
> 1) Add a small a link and comment into the README
> 2a) If the majority of distros have it already simply go with the README
> solution
> 2b) If the majority of distros miss the needed meson version either ship the
> tarball or use the autogen.sh pr-build download script Raster
> suggested
> 3) Remove autotools support and monitor what problems come up to point people
> in the right direction
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

From a brief memory of when I checked I think Debian was the main one
and given they released earlier this year they are still a year or two
off having a new version unless it can be added in some form of
backports etc.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30