Hello.

On 11/06/2017 11:00 AM, Simon Lees wrote:

> On 06/11/17 20:19, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On 11/03/2017 07:07 PM, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
>>> The E22 release is out now, so it's time to return to this issue. Currently
>>> we have two build systems, and maintaining/updating both of them is not
>>> feasible. At present, there is already significant divergence and various
>>> features are not present in the autotools build (and never will be). The
>>> decision is not whether to remove autotools or when to remove autotools,
>>> it's what do we do about old distros.
>>
>> Do we know which old distros are having this problem?
>> This is a very similar to other external deps we have. We never really set
>> rules on what version our dependencies can have based on what
>> distros are shipping. We simply handled them when issues came up.
>>
>> If the distros are not the latest release of the very distro I would argue
>> that they should upgrade. LTS versions are tricky though.
>>
>>> Based on previous discussions, it seems that there are still some users
>>> whose distros do not yet ship a modern enough version of meson. The best
>>> option, which is the option other projects which switch to meson have been
>>> using, is to simply ship a tarball of a newer meson release along with our
>>> code. The other option is to provide a link in the README. I don't have any
>>> other ideas.
>>>
>>> I'll be removing autotools sometime next week, let's try to get some
>>> discussion going about the best action to take going forward with this.
>>
>> I would suggest the following:
>> 0) Dig a bit around to see what distros have a *latest* release which does
>> not ship 0.39
>> 1) Add a small a link and comment into the README
>> 2a) If the majority of distros have it already simply go with the README
>> solution
>> 2b) If the majority of distros miss the needed meson version either ship the
>> tarball or use the autogen.sh pr-build download script Raster
>> suggested
>> 3) Remove autotools support and monitor what problems come up to point
>> people in the right direction
>>
>> regards
>> Stefan Schmidt
>>
> From a brief memory of when I checked I think Debian was the main one
> and given they released earlier this year they are still a year or two
> off having a new version unless it can be added in some form of
> backports etc.

That is a pity. If it is only Debian though I wonder if we should put the
burden of shipping and updating meson our-self.
My hope would be that the amount of other software needed a new meson now would
bring in some sort of backport for Debian.

In the end I do not want to see users out there standing in the rain. If Mike
is happy with having the meson tarball shipped with E or
having a script that downloads it for the poor folks with and old version that
should be ok until Debian catches up.

regards
Stefan Schmidt