On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 18:47:45 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> said:

> Hi,
>
> With some of the examples in our new documentation there is a lot of
> content and there was a request to generate a table of contents.
> This feature has been turned off on our wiki and I wondered how people
> would feel about us turning this back on. With the current styling it looks
> like this screenshot:
> https://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-5a00adba813593.05237914.jpg

Hmmm... My take is that I don't like it. Dokuwiki by default had a TOC and I
actually turned it off it. It took up too much horizontal space in most places.
it comes off badly when your browser windows are not maximized or on portrait
screens (tablets, phones)... so that is why I did this.

Making pages too wide (expand so they fill a maximize screen) generally makes
line reading harder (there is a reason newspapers etc. use narrow columns), thus
why limiting the width of content tended to make for nicer presentation. And
dokuwiki was all about presenting the front of "enlightenment.org" nicely to
the world, so that's why I limited the width. I wasn't going to spend unlimited
time on doing the www layout, design and content so I had to make compromises
of work vs result. If i could get css/whatever to columnize layout somehow
nicely across multiple screen sizes/types in dokuwiki it may have been a better
solution. But time and effort.

Anyway - that's why i did it and what i think about the TOC thing.

> Frustratingly it's a global config, though it can be turned off on a
> per-page basis. We can tweak what is included (again globally) but I
> thought I would get a feeling for whether anyone felt strongly about this

That was part of the issue and why I just turned it off as I thought it was
more pain than good (as above) for much of the site. I generally think if your
page is so long you need a TOC... perhaps you should split it up into multiple
pages? :)

My thoughts on it anyway...

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com