On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 20:16:49 +0900 Jean-Philippe André <j...@videolan.org>
> said:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com
> >
> > wrote:

There is no explicit call to init glibc. So should we init our libs with
_start or _dl_start? :)

Shutdown could be used to optimize some memory usage (eg. elm when you
don't need a UI anymore).
I'm well aware that this is nothing more than an ideal... (eg. EO's classes
aren't deleted).
More practically, I find it super useful to fix issues when they arise in
make check.

But apparently fixing shutdown has fixed runtime on Windows (something to
do with efreetd, ask vtorri).

> > I pushed a series of patches fixing most of this shutdown cycle. But most
> > of the ecore event types are stored as static variables and aren't
> properly
> > re-initialized after re-init. This breaks behavior with legacy where the
> > event handlers table simply didn't change after shutdown/init. Not sure
> if
> > all the event types should be reset (after flush) or if we should keep a
> > static table for legacy ecore event.
>
> that is indeed a good question. it brings up the following point:
>
> when i designed the ecore event types and ecore init/shutdown the intent
> was
> this:
>
> 1. an app/process does an ecore_init ONCE EVER.
> 2. it gets an event ONCE EVER
> 3. it only does ecore_shutdown ONCE EVER just before actually exiting.
>
> doing shutdown, then init, then shutdown, then init was not ever intended
> work. you can tell by the api like you mention that it probably wasn't. but
> many of our tests try and do this and we have to jump through hoops to
> make it
> work. that is actually why i had to disable deletion of the loop object on
> shutdown (from memory). because disable forking in check and... it will do
> this
> again and again and caused issues with eldbus for sure.

Yeah, it wasn't designed for it, that's pretty clear.
I agree that in >99% of cases we don't care about clean shutdown, as long
as tmp files are cleaned up, config is saved, etc...

> > > work. it
> bits
> > > that
> above,
> > > and
> actually
> > > loops
> step

> lot
> > > of
> > > message_process
> for
> > > them
> > >
> > > well they generally shouldn't be called, but they are really methods
> on the
> > > object, so i put them there. other than totally hiding them from eo
> ... i
> > > don't
> > > think we have a good solution yet. nothing like "@dangerous" or
> > > "@privileged"
> > > or something... just @protected which is not what i want really... i
> think.
> > >

> > Basically should be @beta at least. Or indeed not exposed in EO.
>
> for now can i sit on the fence for this? it's really a simple "expose or
> tag
> appropriately" issue.

It'd be useful to tag these things properly so that we can get an idea of
what could be part of a release and what could not :)

> > > message_handler_get was a class func due to a long talk i had with jpeg
> > > about
> > > making something that comes out nicely in bindings with typesafety and
> no
> > > casting. right now i forgot the detail... @jpeg - help me out - what
> was
> > > the
> > > detail again? ummm... I think it was that you can
> >
> > The idea was that the event info would be a subclass of the main event
> info
> > class, i.e. Efl.Loop.Message.
> > There are no subclasses yet, as none of the existing events can be
> > transformed to EO objects without extra wrapping for legacy.
>
> actually the "legacy ecore event" stuff does subclass the legacy events...
> but
> it's not exposed outside of efl's internal build. :)
>
> > So let's say our event info class is My_Message, subclass of
> > Efl.Loop.Message.
> > The idea I think was that you'd also subclass Efl.Loop.Message.Handler
> and
> > create a new event type there, which could then be strongly typed with
> > My_Message as event info type. message_call would be a trivial
> > implementation that figures out the eo event type (let's say with a
> > @protected method message_type returning Efl.Event.Description) and fires
> > it.
>
> but we could do that without a class function... there was a reason a class
> function solved it. with a normal method or a class func it'd be the same:
>
>   My_Msg_Hnd_Class my_msgh =
> (My_Msg_Hnd_Class)loop.message_handler_get(My_Msg_Hnd_Class);
>   my_msgh.event_callback_my_msg_event_add(...);
>
> vs:
>
>   My_Msg_Hnd_Class my_msgh = (My_Msg_Hnd_Class)ef_loop_
> message_handler_get(loop,
> My_Msg_Hnd_Class);
>   my_msgh.event_callback_my_msg_event_add(...);
>
> we're always going to return the more generic parent class handler type,
> so a
> cast would be needed there to the more specific type... but after that you
> get
> correct typing... argh. i can't remember now. it looks to me that it should
> just be a normal loop method as both ways above require a cast... but i
> know
> the reason was to not cast...
>
> > Honestly I'm not sure I remember right, and I'm not sure it's necessary
> > either :) This was just a lunch discussion after all :)
>
> well i remember i was struggling on what do do here to try and avoid
> casting
> (in c++ and similar langs. c/js/lua won't care). and the solution was "a
> class
> function" and it made perfect sense at the time and solved it... which it
> seemingly hasn't done... argh...

Yeah... :-/ Can't remember either...