On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 11:58:21 +0900 Jean-Philippe André <j...@videolan.org>
> said:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 20:16:49 +0900 Jean-Philippe André <
> j...@videolan.org>

> ras...@rasterman.com

Maybe Vincent could enlighten us, but I think he doesn't know the details
either:

<vtorri__> edje hanged , displaying indefinitly eina error message with
spinlocks and efreetd/efreet_desktop_cache was closing and launched again
and again
<vtorri__> i had to reboot my computer

> most
> > > properly
> the
> sure
> > > if
> keep a
> > >
> > > that is indeed a good question. it brings up the following point:
> > >
> > > when i designed the ecore event types and ecore init/shutdown the
> intent
> > > was
> > > this:
> > >
> > > 1. an app/process does an ecore_init ONCE EVER.
> > > 2. it gets an event ONCE EVER
> > > 3. it only does ecore_shutdown ONCE EVER just before actually exiting.
> > >
> > > doing shutdown, then init, then shutdown, then init was not ever
> intended
> > > work. you can tell by the api like you mention that it probably
> wasn't. but
> > > many of our tests try and do this and we have to jump through hoops to
> > > make it
> > > work. that is actually why i had to disable deletion of the loop
> object on
> > > shutdown (from memory). because disable forking in check and... it
> will do
> > > this
> > > again and again and caused issues with eldbus for sure.
> > >

> > Yeah, it wasn't designed for it, that's pretty clear.
> > I agree that in >99% of cases we don't care about clean shutdown, as long
> > as tmp files are cleaned up, config is saved, etc...
>
> correct. shutdown really want intended for just that - cleaning
> out-of-process
> resources like tmp files etc.
>
> the question is... should init, shutdown, init, shutdown actually work? i
> don't
> think it should... this leads to implications on how to implement a
> shutdown
> etc.

I believe we can agree on this: it's useful for testing but belongs to
"undefined" behavior otherwise. I mean, it's not meant to work.

But when we'll deal with multiple loops and all that, you will want a clean
destruction of the loop object.

> [...]
> ?

> methods
> > > on the
> > > ... i
> > > think.

> > > for now can i sit on the fence for this? it's really a simple "expose
> or
> > > tag
> > > appropriately" issue.
> > >

> > It'd be useful to tag these things properly so that we can get an idea of
> > what could be part of a release and what could not :)
>
> well i'm right now working on trying to fix the chain of mess that #undef
> EAPI
> has created... :) so i kind of don't want to context switch.... :)

> jpeg
> and
> > > no
> what
> > > was

> event
> > > info
> > >
> > > actually the "legacy ecore event" stuff does subclass the legacy
> events...
> > > but
> > > it's not exposed outside of efl's internal build. :)

> Efl.Loop.Message.Handler
> > > and
> with
> fires
> > >
> > > but we could do that without a class function... there was a reason a
> class
> > > function solved it. with a normal method or a class func it'd be the
> same:
> > >
> > >   My_Msg_Hnd_Class my_msgh =
> > > (My_Msg_Hnd_Class)loop.message_handler_get(My_Msg_Hnd_Class);
> > >   my_msgh.event_callback_my_msg_event_add(...);
> > >
> > > vs:
> > >
> > >   My_Msg_Hnd_Class my_msgh = (My_Msg_Hnd_Class)ef_loop_
> > > message_handler_get(loop,
> > > My_Msg_Hnd_Class);
> > >   my_msgh.event_callback_my_msg_event_add(...);
> > >
> > > we're always going to return the more generic parent class handler
> type,
> > > so a
> > > cast would be needed there to the more specific type... but after that
> you
> > > get
> > > correct typing... argh. i can't remember now. it looks to me that it
> should
> > > just be a normal loop method as both ways above require a cast... but i
> > > know
> > > the reason was to not cast...

> necessary
> > >
> > > well i remember i was struggling on what do do here to try and avoid
> > > casting
> > > (in c++ and similar langs. c/js/lua won't care). and the solution was
> "a
> > > class
> > > function" and it made perfect sense at the time and solved it... which
> it
> > > seemingly hasn't done... argh...
> > >

> > Yeah... :-/ Can't remember either...
>
> :( i hope somehow we remember... or i'm going to just make it a loop

All I can remember was that the event info in the callback had a type known
at compile time, and that would be super useful for C++.