On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:03:25 +0100
Stefan Schmidt <ste...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>

> On 03/08/2018 06:40 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > One thing I have seen be of benefit in other communities is having
> > regular meetings.
> >
> > It was definitely beneficial to Gentoo Java Team, long ago. This
> > some what helped create a team, and definitely helped keep people
> > on the same page, helped with communication, etc. When meetings
> > ended, so did the team over time. They helped make the team and
> > broke it...
> >
> > Does the E developer community ever meet beyond like EDD? Like
> > regular monthly meetings in IRC or other?
>
> No we don't and I think it is a good idea you brought up here.
>
> I think we should try it out and see how it flies for us.
>
> I would propose IRC as medium (already heavily in use, suitable for
> many attendees even if just lurking around, video calls might be
> awkward and problematic with many attendees)

Gentoo and I think others use IRC for meetings. If done in -edevelop,
there should not be to much noise. Though good to announce and maybe set
topic so others joining know a meeting is in progress.

> I would also propose it to be bi-weekly. That misses the nice
> regularity of weekly meetings, but I think that might be a bit to
> often. Maybe I am wrong and weeklies would be better. Hard to say.

At minimum monthly, anything more than that maybe hard, but not a bad
idea. The more you meet and communicate the better. Long as there is
something to say, progress made, etc.

> Finding the right time slot is problematic though. As far as I see it
> we might have attendance from US west and east coast, Europe as well
> as Asia. What should we do about it?

If you go with bi-weekly, or more than monthly. Maybe use 2 different
time slots. That way people have a chance to catch at least one. May
split up meetings a bit, but give others a chance at a reasonable time.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.