Hi,

We are currently in the 1.23 release cycle, and it seems agreed upon that
we are planning to remove autotools prior to the 1.23 release. Overall, the
meson build is in reasonable shape--there are some small issues on our main
platforms (and larger ones for Windows)--and it should not be an issue to
meet this goal.

With this in mind, I would like to propose a freeze on the autotools build
starting Friday. This means that we no longer modify the autotools build in
any way in the master branch (excepting outstanding patches in phab), and
instead focus entirely on ensuring the quality of the meson build system.

There is not much action which would need to be taken for this:
* stop patching build files
* disable CI jobs for autotools

I think this would help to streamline build system development and reduce
overhead for this release.

Regards,
Mike