On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:19:35 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
<michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently in the 1.23 release cycle, and it seems agreed upon that
> we are planning to remove autotools prior to the 1.23 release. Overall, the
> meson build is in reasonable shape--there are some small issues on our main
> platforms (and larger ones for Windows)--and it should not be an issue to
> meet this goal.

i thought meson was in better shape...

> With this in mind, I would like to propose a freeze on the autotools build
> starting Friday. This means that we no longer modify the autotools build in
> any way in the master branch (excepting outstanding patches in phab), and
> instead focus entirely on ensuring the quality of the meson build system.

i think we should push this off a few more weeks/month or 2.

> There is not much action which would need to be taken for this:
> * stop patching build files
> * disable CI jobs for autotools
>

> I think this would help to streamline build system development and reduce
> overhead for this release.

i agree on this - but the autofoo needs to still work and be up to date until
the point where meson is equivalent - the windows work is one ware it needs to
catch up on for sure as well as some other niggles. get all of these up to
snuff and... yup. drop autotools.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com