> > ok- started reviewing... and i'll basically cover as much as
> > i had time to review here.
> >
> > 1. shared evas image cache - good idea, BUT... has problems.
>
>       No it won't work to use his caching code, as is, for some
> of the other engines. But it can be made to work. One needs to

        Just to follow up on this a bit..

        Again, one could make it work (though it would require a bit
of work, some re-structuring of current stuff, etc), but the real
question here is wether this would be desirable to have or not.
        One thing this would allow is for 'localized' image caches,
eg. it would allow per-evas canvas caches if desired (and indeed
his current sdl engine implementation has that), or per-'engine'
(which is better, as far as memory use is concerned), etc.
        It would also 'simplify' the caching code a bit as it would
have a generalized form, and indeed it also depends on a generalized
image structure.

        However, in the interest of expediting a "software_sdl"
engine, I'd suggest that maybe it would be better if that part
of it were left for another time, when such an idea can be looked
at in more detail. :)

        Cedric: It seems to me that you don't really this for your
engine - you don't really need to use an sdl surface for images
that are created via the canvas api.. the only time I see that
you really need to hold an sdl surface in images (say in the
'extended_info' pointer as you're now doing), is for images which
are obtained from the target (display) surface, and such images
don't need to use any cache aspects at all. If this is true, then
you can just use the current 'generic' image cache - like the other
software based engines do.

        Of course I could be wrong about this, it just seems that
way to me from looking at the engine a bit. :)

   jose.