On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:28:16 -0400 Jason Tackaberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> On 2007-05-08 13:42, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > Motivation to do so is to have clip border as fade out instead of hard
> > "cut". We need it for our software, Canola, but talking to Freevo guys
> > show the same problem.
>
> This is definitely a big deal for us (Freevo).  We've been resorting to
> ugly hacks to get this effect in text (i.e. using Imlib2 to render the
> text to an evas image object and fiddling with the alpha channel after),
> but other hacks are increasingly impractical for use-cases that involve
> fading across multiple objects.
>
> So I'm interested in hearing any advice from those who grok evas's core
> (of which I am not even remotely one).

the advice is "i would like this and it would be good" but its not trivial to
do right/well and right now i really don't have the time to do it - thus it's
one of those backburner "when i get to it" things.

> Off topic now, but some other shortcomings that are an issue for us:
>
>    1. Lack of 3D transformations (on 2D objects).  Gustavo has said he
>       has a proposal for adding this, which is very nice to hear.

actually - he wants 2d transforms (rotate, shear, scale, translate). but you
can do enough with 2d.

>    2. GL engine a second class citizen. I sometimes read on e-devel
>       about how this or that isn't working properly in the GL engine.
>       At some point configure was updated to no longer build it by
>       default.  I'm afraid one day I'll do a svn update and discover
>       raster has removed it because it was half working and nobody cared
>       about it.  [I care! :)]

yes - it is 2n'd class - but it won't be removed. did you notice i added
yuv->rgb fragment shader accel to the engine recently? it isn't dead - its just
not a primary devel path.

>    3. Lack of subpixel precision.  Makes stuff like the Ken Burns Effect
>       impossible (or possible, but lame).   However this is probably not
>       practical without a big evas rewrite.  I did just have the idea
>       that we could get halfpel by creating a canvas size twice the
>       display resolution and set the viewport to the display resolution
>       -- but that option won't work since viewport feature was removed.
>       Other options require buffer canvas hacks.

it never would have worked even with the viewport before as evas just converted
it to a 1:1 buffer. this is actually quite possible to be done - and in fact
fairly easy - at least for the software engines. BUT its expensive as evas will
need to render 4x or more the data. also co-ordinates are integer and converted
to output co-ord space which is assumed to be 1:1 with canvas space. the engine
api assumes 1:1 so i simply percolated that up to the evas api not as a hard
requirement, but as a soft-requirement. api is still in theory capable of doing
the "large canvas-space viewport", but the expense of "writing" to such a
canvas will be very high. you want half-pel then you will pay 4x the price of
rendering.

> Anyway, thought I'd just mention this stuff so they're in the right
> people's minds. :)
>
> Jason.

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)