Jason wrote:

>   2. GL engine a second class citizen. I sometimes read on e-devel
>      about how this or that isn't working properly in the GL engine.
>      At some point configure was updated to no longer build it by
>      default.  I'm afraid one day I'll do a svn update and discover
>      raster has removed it because it was half working and nobody
>      cared about it.  [I care! :)]

        I care too (somewhat), and so does raster, and simon, and
others... I have no experience with gl though, and would have to take
time out to learn the api and its use, which I just don't have at the
moment. Simon has wanted to rewrite the gl engine, maybe he can do
something there if he finds the time.
        One thing that engine needs is some code for 'rendering to a
texture', as this will be needed for various things.
        Another engine that needs work is... dfb. It could use some
cleaning up. :)

        But above all, what is needed at the engines level is the
introduction of 'objects' there, similar to what the canvas level has
(not that the canvas itself couldn't use improvements, especially
with smart objects). This is needed for most of the things that you
and others want to have -- once that's done, it'll be much, much
easier to extend the lib's capabilities.

   jose.