On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:29:37 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:05:30 -0400 dan sinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> babbled:
>
> > On 8-Jul-07, at 7:51 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe we need to have official IRC logs? Maybe add a #ecode
> > > channel whose ONLY
> > > purpose is discussion of code, design, direction ideas etc. No
> > > help questions -
> > > no random discussion. Log it and put that up on-line. If you
> > > want to pipe up as
> > > part of the discussion - join the channel. People who have been
> > > away/asleep can
> > > "catch up" by reading the logs. I am NOT saying we get rid of
> > > Email or don't
> > > use it, but I am trying to find a better way to do this...
> > >

> > Isn't this what #edevelop was for originally? Couldn't we just
> > enforce the topic in there and let all off-topic stuff go
> > elsewhere (#e or some other channel).
>
> we could - but you know what it is like once a channel get certain
> memberishp/traffic... main thing is to have it logged and put up
> elsewhere.

That's why although I have come back to haunt IRC, I have stayed away
from #edevelop and other high traffic areas.  I'm a compulsive reader,
all that off topic chatter soaks up my time.  It's fun, I just no
longer have the time for it.

At the moment I'm looking to strike a balance between running my new
contracting business, open source projects, and doing things for the fun
of it.  Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion takes up too much of my time, once
I've finished that I might get more balance.  B-)

How about we approach this from a different direction.  Instead of
creating a new channel for pure dev talk and watching it get mired in
off topic chatter, why not create a new channel purely for off topic
chatter?  Then encourage people to go and chatter there.

May not work as we are a bit cliquey sometimes.  We like having our
own little channels for dev talk and semi private chatter.  We would
need #e, #e-chat, #edevelop, #edevelop-chat, #etk, #etk-chat, #ewl,
#ewl-chat etc.