On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:54:14 -0300 "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Hi guys,
>
> Since now raster is happy and all, maybe it's the time to propose
> moving to GIT? :-)
>
> Now seriously, I'm keeping GIT repositories at http://staff.get-e.org/
> and it's going quite well, but since we have to commit to CVS later,
> it doesn't help that much.
>
> Many people on IRC was pro to this change, with some against. So I'd
> like to ask those that are against,  what reasons, do you see any
> showstoper?
>
> Reasons to move to GIT:
>  - it's fast, very fast. diff, log, commit are impressively fast.

sure - though i just read my cvs commits mail - everything is in there that i
ever need.

>  - offline operations. this helps a lot when you're on a plane... I
> often write code in these situations, probably raster will do a lot
> now.

i have managed to work well without git offline for a decade.

>  - distributed environment:
>    - allows you to revert your commits (no more commits: fix typo, missing
> file)
>    - per-user branches, very fast and also very easy to do merges

a revert vs fixing a typo generally doesnt matter. in act often u commit a
chunk and typo'd during that and need another commit to correct it. it doesnt
help much.

also splitting up into lots of branches i don't see as something we need. we
don't have enough devs and dev paths to need it. the cost of a branch is a lot.
if people run off away from mainline then it basically loses visibility, on
merge back its impossible to review it all in on big hit.

> those are my main points, you can google for git versus cvs or so to
> get comparisons.

and moving to git may take weeks - or months. it took x.org months. it will
impact productivity for a long period - no way am i looking at git before e17
is done. no way. after - it may be something we can consider. post e17 i was
going to move the current code to an e18 tree in cvs and work from there (and
split off efl core, e and other things as they should all just be under e17 or
e18). at THAT point we can talk about having an evas git tree, an ecore git
tree, an edje git tree etc. etc. but until then, changing SCM's is going to just
b a big waste.