On Dec 1, 2007 4:44 PM, Stephen Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As raster mentioned, and as I believe, the best thing for epsilon would be a
> rewrite using evas instead of imlib2... something extremely similar to
> e_thumb. Raster said that if this did occur, e would likely change to using
> epsilon as well.

Ok, I've discussed this at #edevelop with some folks, I'll probably
use e_thumb myself because for Canola we need a special, non-standard
size: instead of bounding box of 128x128 or 256x256 we need a fixed
height of 96 with variable width (see
http://www.marceloeduardo.com/blog/design/graphical-design/canola-20-design-process-the-photo-viewer).
So using the fdo stuff will not help that much, at least not at this
part... sure we can try to use fdo sizes for video thumbs or something
else.

As for e_thumb, I did a quick view of its code and looks nice and
small, that's great, but I wonder:
 - how expensive is evas/ecore_evas_buffer in comparison to imlib2 to
generate thumbs;
 - saving to eet the uncompressed data really help? Ok, this is more
about testing on our hardware, but maybe it will not help and it's
cheaper to uncompress a JPEG than read pixels from flash (flash
slowness versus cpu usage). In that case, what's the best option to
save the image as JPEG? Create an evas_object_image on the same
canvas, set it's pixesl to buffer pixels and then
evas_object_image_save() it?

Also, what to change in e_thumb to make it the perfect "epsilon"?
fdo-compatible saving? Use epeg?

I'll have a look at this next week, so any tips before that is appreciated :-)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri