> > As raster mentioned, and as I believe, the best thing for epsilon
> > would be a rewrite using evas instead of imlib2... something
> > extremely similar to e_thumb. Raster said that if this did occur,
> > e would likely change to using epsilon as well.

        If epsilon is still using imlib2 for creating thumbs, it must
be either because at the time it first appeared evas could not then
save images to files, or maybe because it wanted to use more image
loaders/savers than evas had (evas had built-in jpg/png/eet only at
first, or rather at second - at first it also used imlib2 for loading,
and the original-original evas used imlib2 for drawing too).
        If so, these two issues should no longer be relevant: evas
can save to files, and one can write as many loaders/savers as desired.
In fact, I think that imlib2 doesn't have an svg loader, which evas
does. Any special-purpose loaders that one may want for epsilon, but
not in current evas, one could write expressly for epsilon if desired.

        On the other hand, uing evas for simply loading and saving
'thumbnails' of a couple of images is somewhat of an overkill.. but
not if you're doing many.

> - how expensive is evas/ecore_evas_buffer in comparison to imlib2
> to generate thumbs;

        You don't need ecore_evas_buffer to generate 'thumbs' of
jpg/png/svg, that's only for generating smaller views of a 'general'
evas canvas rendering. For example, if you want to show a live thumb
of an animated edje, or bunch of edjes, or just about anything.

> - saving to eet the uncompressed data really help? Ok, this is
> more about testing on our hardware, but maybe it will not help
> and it's cheaper to uncompress a JPEG than read pixels from flash
> (flash slowness versus cpu usage). In that case, what's the best
> option to save the image as JPEG? Create an evas_object_image on
> the same canvas, set it's pixesl to buffer pixels and then
> evas_object_image_save() it?

        Saving what to eet? Thumbs of jpgs/pngs? Depends what you
want to do with them, and how many... The "best option to save
the image as JPEG" is somewhat hard to say - it depends on the
context you're working with.
        But if you're using evas, and you want to use it to load
and save 'thumbs' of jpgs back as jpgs, then just create an image
object (hide it), set the load size (evas uses the same 'quick'
thumbing mechanism for jpgs as epeg), set the file, and then save
it to the thumb file (use flags for jpg quality and compression),
repeating for as many image files as you want. Or if you want to
do this in a separate evas, then create a buffer evas and then do
as above.

> Also, what to change in e_thumb to make it the perfect "epsilon"?
> fdo-compatible saving? Use epeg?

         What is "fdo-compatible saving"?

        A more general question would be:  What does epsilon not
have right now that would make it better for people's needs?
Any capabilities it's missing that people want? Any api additions
or modifications anyone have in mind?

   jose.