Hello.

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:59, Christopher Michael wrote:

> I've talked w/ raster last night & stefan_schmidt today about redoing
> the network module for E. Ideally, we would like todo a network frontend
> that is capable of utilizing various backends (e_nm, conman, etc, etc).

ACK.
Also exalt people wpuld be welcome. They already have some experience with
network management in E.

> Stefan expressed interest in this and is willing to work on the e_nm
> backend a bit more, which is great.

The reason why this has slkipped is that I left OpenMoko and thus
doing this no longer as my work job. After the leaving I needed some
time for relaxing.

I'll continue my work on e_nm on private base as I like to have in in
E for other use cases anyway. :)

Will take lo nger as fun project, but will make progress. I think I
can start to clean up the current mess I have right now at the end of
may and start working on it on mid june again.

> The front end should be able to be configured to handle various
> network cards & backends, ideally allowing the user to switch between
> any device and/or backend easily.

Multiple devices is nice. Not a must for the start IMHO, but nice
for later use cases.

Switching betwenn different backends needs some thinking. Do you
like to be able to do this on-the-fly and expect everything to work?
Or some kind of configuration for the backend that will go live
after at the next start of the manager?

> I think what we need at this stage (planning), along with other
> things, is different UI ideas. What would people like to see in
> terms of frontend ?

Sounds good. Some first ideas:
o Gadget for the shelf to show signal strength for wifi, gsm/3g
  and indicates what kind of connection is used atm.
o Click on the gadget shows available wifi networks, and other
  network connections like ethernet (Only with connected cable?) and
  wireless broadband modems.
o Some kind of advanced settings UI. Handling stored connections,
  set IP address, stuff for complicated wifi setup, etc.. Not sure
  how connected this should be to the gadget.

Just a *very* short list of stuff. I like a lot of the nm-applet
stuff, but there are things that can be improved.

I'll send a longer list with ideas for the UI in some days. To
tired today.

> Is there a general consensus as to which backends should be supported ?

I can work on e_nm. Not yet looked on connman. Still on my todo,
but never came to it. Anyone else did this already?

Then we have exalt. Are the devs interested in such an idea?

> Can anyone provide an objective pros/cons on the various backends ?

I can do this for e_nm in my later mail.

regards
Stefan Schmidt