Hi all, as you all (most) know, eina has hit proto cvs. I think
several things have to be explained, references to eina's license,
code and so have appeared on different threads and honestly following
them all is very complicated and is also hard to actually decide
something, so it might be good if at some moment, someone can make a
summary of several opinions and just do a poll and decide on it.
Anyway, here is my summary:

Objective:
Eina's original objective was to settle down the long-time discussion
about multiple data types, mainly ecore's and evas', it was an attempt
that, from what i've seen, several developers have agreed and have a
good will on this library; even the ecore's data types supporter
(eina's is currently based around evas data types).

It has several subsystems in a very similar way to what ecore has, but
the main reason to not place ecore on the bottom of the software
dependency stack was because not every library built around our data
types wants to be "loopized" with ecore's main loop implementation,
but be some kind of agnostic to ecore, so gtk / qt / whatever can use
this libraries an fit their own loop manager on top of this low level
library.

Evas is an example of such a thing (there are others), and no,
ecore-evas current double dependency is not the main problem eina
wants to solve, not even the original problem it wanted to solve. If
you place the efl stack, eina will be at the bottom, ecore on top of
it and so other libraries/apps that *need* some kind of main loop
handling, it can be summarized as "pull approach libraries" you pull
the state from it, instead of evas (and others libraries) where you
"push" the state (evas_render).

License
As most of the code on efl-research project (and most of *my* code) it
does not have COPYING file, it was left out on purpose, basically to
be able to discuss this "license issue" with e developers. We all have
already argued about licensing and there are several respectable and
contrary point of views. I, as the original author of this library,
even if some of the code was taken from evas or ecore, wanted to
license the library as LGPL; but as i have already stated, this new
license has several considerations, *please* don't start a license
arguments, the other thread is for that, this one is to decide:

1. Relicensing eina as LGPL is possible and *does not* go against Evas
or Ecore license, BSD allows that as long as the third (author) clause
is respected and so it will be (in case eina's license finally gets
set to LGPL)
2. What will be the reaction from developers that want BSD license?
from what i've deduced on IRC and ML, several of this developers
*won't* contribute to this library if it is not BSD, (please those
developers that think that this is point is for them, confirm or deny
this). In my opinion the current state of e developers is too small to
actually divide it based on the license they prefer; and of course
that argument "imposes" the license the library can be. So, the main
question on this point is: if it is LGPL are you going to contribute
to it? and, if it is LGPL are you going to *link" against this
library?

ps: i would like to discuss several eina's subsytems, but looks like
the license has to be solved first, so let's get it done, so we can
focus on the code.

Best regards,
turran