On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Vincent Torri <vto...@univ-evry.fr> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> cedric just fixed a bug in eet, and he forgot to update the ChangeLog. I
> do not criticise, it can happen to everyone, including me (and it did
> happen to me).
>
> But, as we plan to do more releases, the ChangeLog will have to always be
> updated when such fixes are done, and i think that we should take the
> habit of updating the ChangeLog files with some tools that could help us.
>
> The gstreamer team uses a tool named 'moap' [1] (written by the previous
> release manager of gstreamer, btw). I use it for epdf, edvi, eps and evil,
> and it is quite nice regarding ChangeLog updates.
>
> To use it, go to the toplevel directory of the project, then:
>
> 1) run:
>
> moap cl prep
>
> this step modify the ChangeLog according to the modified files
>
> 2) Update the ChangeLog to add comments
>
> 3) run
>
> moap cl ci
>
> to commit the changes
>
> Note that i don't want that everyone use that tool and update always the
> ChangeLog files right now. I just want to mention one of the features of
> that tool, which can help us a lot when we will have to update the
> ChangeLog files in the released EFL.
>
> Finally, last remark: unfortunately, the order of the changes in the
> ChangeLog of eet is the reverse of the one that moap uses (currently, last
> cahnges are at the bottom, while moap put them at the top of the
> ChangeLog). Maybe we can modify the current ChangeLog and use maop for the
> updates

I really dislike ChangeLog files, they predate any source control
version. Now CVS/SVN/Git/Whatever nicely replaces that. So generating
it automatically is the way to go.

AFAIK changelogs are supposed to be the reverse order, like maop does,
so changing to it is becoming more standard.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems