On Tuesday, 24 August 2010, at 13:32:06 (+1000),
David Seikel wrote:

> I'm going to agree that !! is unreadable.  Um, does that mean
> negate the negation, hence do nothing, or is their an obscure !!
> operator I have somehow missed in my decades of C programming?
>
> Don't think I have ever seen it before, so would not count is as "well
> known C practice".  No doubt for the same reason that double negatives
> are discouraged in English.  Not being equal to NULL says something,
> negating the negation is just noise.

Double negation insures that whatever the compiler's default boolean
value is (sometimes 1, sometimes -1, but theoretically could be
whatever non-zero value it wants, so long as it's consistent) gets
assigned/tested.  The double negation insures that any true value gets
negated to false then negated again to the compiler's inate true
value.

Unfortunately raster thinks anyone who prefers the original notation
over !! simply doesn't know the above and thus needs to learn
something.  So we're all just morons who don't know anything, and
raster is always right.  Again.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <m...@kainx.org>