On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Fabiano Fidêncio
> <fiden...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

>>> IMHO it's better to have 2 different, however the e17 file manager
>>> should be able to preview both (as I proposed in one of the past
>>> GSoC).
>>>
>>> The reason to have 2 application is that for documents you often focus
>>> on a single document for a while, with very specific actions such as
>>> search, annotations, bookmarks; while image you want lots of image
>>> previews and quickly zoom into one chosen, maybe copy files or view
>>> some parameters like exif (dates).
>>>
>>> These days I came back from a trip and thus lots of pictures, as usual
>>> I used gwenview to browse and organize them... but it could be a bit
>>> better and faster, so I thought of writing one; however I stopped as
>>> I'd generate yet-another-unfinished photo-viewer application. Then I
>>> remembered Enki and helping it could be the way to go as Watchwolf
>>> works on it as well.   Particularly I dislike Enki's UI, but it does
>>> work nice in my tests (no tests with flickr yet), so you could discuss
>>> with Marina some ideas, investigate some existing software and help
>>> the UI.
>>
>> IMHO, Enki can be a overkill.
>
> Why do you say that? It's quite fast.

It's fast enough to run on my eee, just the UI didn't expect such a
small screen. But that's just a matter of theming now !

> I'd use lightmediascanner, but Enlil (used by Enki) is quite good as well.

Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't lighmediascanner linked with sqlite ?
According to Watchwolf test, using eet was a much better alternative
for speed.

> Actually I'd work on some other ways to categorize the contents. Focus
> more on it. One option is to copy Raster's color-sort used in
> wallpaper2 dialog. Then add some filters (simple to use please!) to
> list files of a given period, or some predominant color... and of
> course use those for sort.

Maybe that's just another kind of tag to handle.

> The problem with Enki is that right now it focus too much on the
> useless stuff. For instance you open it and what you see? Pictures?
> No, you see a list of libraries, something you don't change that
> often.  There is no keyboard navigation/actions (yeah, elm makes it a
> bit harder than it should). And the text entries are all weird, as
> well as the abuse of elm_notify for dialogs.
>
> We could start with that. Let's propose some good alternative UI, then
> you, watchwolf or someone else (maybe even I) can start to make it
> happen.

> Apple's apperture is a good example:
> http://www.apple.com/aperture/what-is.html
> KDE's gwenview is another:
> http://gwenview.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php?action=view&album=/2.4&pos=1
>
> I'd focus on listing. Enki's already provide a cool (but ugly)
> thumbnail list. Its image view mode is bad and slow, the Zoom slider
> (which is inverted from what people are used and actually from what is
> used in the main screen!) is too large, and the bar that show sibling
> images is too small (it should be bigger or user-configurable). One
> clear proble is also the context actions, right now using weird
> elm_menu... no obvious solution, but if people think about we can find
> out a nice replacement.

Yeah ! Ask designer to come with nice idea for the UI, that's a plan I
like. And about ephoto, please don't add much feature to it, it is
designed to quickly browse a directory, see a few pictures, but not
designed to handle thousand file in different library. It's a
different tool, that target different need.
--
Cedric BAIL