On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Vincent Torri <vto...@univ-evry.fr> wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

>>> I'd say do the app now, otherwise we'll end with yet another library
>>> with an associated application to use... :-/
>>>
>>> As Vincent said, the API is quite similar, so pick one like epdf and
>>> do the app. Once it's okay, you can write the abstraction with similar
>>> api and sed the code.
>>>
>>> During the process you may find some API being "wrong" or "unhelpful",
>>> maybe require more API and you have to change a single place. The
>>> other approach you'd have to change 3 + 1 places. Then if you notice
>>> it is wrong, you go and change that amount again, etc.
>>
>> actually, there is something to check in epdf : is the API sufficient for
>> having a responsive gui like evince (a part with the rendered page and on
>> the left, a list of thumbnails of the pdf document which can scroll). The
>> rendering can take a lot of time, even if it is possible to zoom)
>
> If epdf, edvi and other don't use thread. As they are heavily relying
> on external library, it should be possible to move that part of the
> code in another thread and make that API completly asynchronous. Maybe
> doing so in the common framework would be a good place. If you are
> looking for sample code, look at eio it use ecore_thread a lot.

yeah, this would be amazing. :-) But needs to be done right,
fortunately this is much closer to a JPEG image than a HTML/WebKit
page, because the later sucks as it is bi-directional due JavaScript
and user interactions... anyway, take care to leak the memory buffers
you'll use in the thread to render the image.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems