On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:29:51 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:

> Hello all, particularly Cedric.
>
> Before I explain the annoying problem in consequence of it, let me say
> that I totally disagree with storing playback position in file xattr.
> This kind of thing should be per application, not per file.
>     1- Let's say you thumbnail a file using emotion, you'll get file changed.
>     2- Let's say you don't want to remember it. You'll still get file changed.
>     3- You'll be hitting the disc (or flash) more than desired.
>
> So please remove such thing from Emotion, it's really not there. If
> you wish you can make it an optional API call that the application may
> give its own xattr key and it's persisted. But really, any application
> should have its own database as xattr is not available everywhere and
> they will get lots of bugreports with inconsistent behavior.

i totally agree here. each app should be responsible for storing previous
playback positions for media.. IF it wants to "pick up where it left off" and
store this not ON the file itself - eg in ~/.appname/myconfig.cfg/eet/whatever
or ~/.config/appname/.....

sure - we can provide api's and libraries that make this easier to do - but it
shouldnt be in xattr.