On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Leif Middelschulte
>> <leif.middelschu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree with cedric here. Why should a player keep track of every file
>>> he ever played or loose info for files on external storages? Why
>>> shouldn't I be able to start watching a movie at home, then move it to
>>> my mobile device and take off, just where I stopped at home? Same goes
>>> for PDFs, etc..
>
> Are you kidding, right? External storages are usually FAT and so what
> you said makes no sense.

Today it's possible to find Linux in almost every embedded device, so
using FAT is just usefull for people that don't use Linux as a
Desktop. Mine external storage are XFS, but that doesn't matter for
the current discussion. I also move file on my hard drive.

> And there are other ways to solve it, let's not get into this
> discussion... all of them the resource is per application and not per
> file.

It's not a ressource, it's an information about a specific file on the
file system. You want it linked with that file and xattr is the sane
way to link information with a file.

>> The PDF application is also a very good example in my opinion. Okular
>> does implement this kind of functionnality by using an XML file in a
>> hidden directory (some kind of database from their point of view). You
>> move the file, you loose the information and a file is leaking on your
>> system.
>
> That's an implementation detail. They should md5/sha1 the relevant
> part of the file (ie: ignore comments and annotations) and consider
> that. Or have something fully integrated to track the moves into the
> system (like Windows or MacOS).

I dislike both solution. First one for at least two reason, because
computing md5/sha1 take a lot of time to do and also because you need
to track file after you computed it. Typical example of failure for
such an idea is Thumbnail freedesktop standard (agreed they did even
worse than what you propose by calling md5 on the filename), in the
end, their is no link between the file and it's content. Statistically
nothing prevent any collision and their is no way to check if one
occured. More you use this kind of scheme more likely you are to have
weird issue. Ok, it will only be less usable, not a blocking bug, but
still. And the only reason, you have this issue is because you don't
want to link the information directly with the file.
    Second solution is even worse, now you add a daemon running
permanently just to track the link between files and information and
you want to do such thing per application ? I seriously don't like
that plan either.
    Their is a mechanism on Linux to link information with a file, and
that's xattr. Their is an equivalent on Windows. Metadata will follow
the file, die with it and you will always have the relevant
information. From my point of view, all this metadata should at some
point get standardized by Freedesktop (
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes ).
    Now the question is where do you want to put that piece of code,
do you want to move it up in every application that try to display a
video somewhere, or do you want to offer a facility for every one ? I
took the second choice. If you really want it to be moved up. Ok, fair
enough, but from my point of view, you are going to complexify
application for nothing.
    And by the way, the bug is fixed without removing the feature.

> But like I said and Raster agreed, keeping this in Emotion is a NO GO.
> Just remove it, please.

I still want to ear a argumented answer to mine before I make that choice.
--
Cedric BAIL